25.7.05

Thing you go back for

it was a hot sunday morning as i pushed through the atmospheric gases at 60 mph when i lost my hat through the doorless passenger side of my jeep. it only took a second to lift from my head and fly out as the giant semi-truck passed me. the loss saddened me, but i wasn't about to skid to a halt for its loss. it is an old black baseball cap with the emblem of the colorado rockies on the front and black electrical tape holding the "adjustable" strap on the back together. probably beyond its time; but i missed it. somehow i didn't want to admit that this now little worn hat was important to me so i drove on.

later that day we drove the same stretch of highway in the beater datsun truck. i knew exactly where i lost my hat and recognized its limp form from a further distance than i thought possible. keith was so gracious to stop for my hat. out i popped from the truck and retrieved the hat; it hadn't been run over and i dusted a bit of something off the bill and it was good to go. one of the best parts of the day was me on that elevated concrete retrieving a bit of black cloth and cardboard.

4 comments:

k2h said...

isn't it odd what we care about, and how this 'caring' can change so quickly? I bet when you don't wear it for awhile and go to pack it in a box, it will be one of those things that was like "oh well. lost it in the move" but since you lost it in such a nifty way (something you probably could have avoided) you felt sorrow for your negligence and how the hat had to pay the price so its value suddenly sky rocketed.

glad to help you get it =) dan and I rescued my basball cap (from the colorado avalanches) when I lost it on a hike in the rockies. we downclmbed like 1000 feet of face in the snow to get it. it was fun!

Unknown said...

some items --even though it may not be overt---hold a lifetime

Sarah said...

Speaking of things flying off on the highway, I just looked and realized Dan never posted about our "adventure" on the way back from Colorado a few weeks ago.

Our Yakima bike rack flew off our car. Yup, complete with Daniel's two bikes (either one of which is worth more than our second car, I'll point out). That was fun. Definitely worth going back for. Quite the exciting time, having to haul the whole setup from the median across the interstate and disassembling everything (rack + bikes) to make it fit into our already packed car.

It's all good though, fortunately no one was hurt (imagine something like that landing in front of—or on!—your car!), the damage to the bikes was shockingly minimal, and REI replaced the rack for us (we said we weren't exactly satisfied :)).

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! an entire rack! wow, i'm very impressed that it didn't take anyone out. gotta love rei, so easy to take stuff back.