21.2.06

Hangings

in my closet, cloaked in white plastic
hangs my wedding dress
i enjoyed wearing it
i like the style
but
i wish i had worn my mother's dress
when i got married i didn't know how
my parents felt about their marriage
they are now divoriced
my mom wanted me to wear it
i should have listened to her
but she didn't push it, at all
because she loves me
i was worried that my dad might
not like to see me wear it
at thanksgiving i was at my dad's
new house and saw a picture
that i have always liked of his
it is a green and gray drawing of a lake
and a cabin
i remember it from when i was young
and have always felt part of the scene
somehow
we talked of where he was going
to hang the picture
i commented how much
i have always liked that picture
he said he likes it too
it reminds him of when times were good
with my mom
she gave it to him
and then i understood
too late
that i should have worn
my mom's wedding dress.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you looked elegant and supremely happy in your dress. you needed a dress with a happy future. there are so many lives....real, what could have been, and dreamed

forkev said...

that's a very sad poem.
ironicly, i singed a wedding card as i read it.