27.4.06

When it Rains....

today has been an affirming day. on the plus side.
on the minus side, i can't believe that things happen all on one day.

a month or more back i submitted a cold resume to a company near reno that produces biofuel. which i think is a way cool product and where i think our petroleum industry will move eventually. today i just got an e-mail asking for me to submit an application for a research chemist position there. when i submitted my resume there wasn't a chemist on staff (that i knew about, there were only a handful of people employed there but it is part of a bigger family of companies). the owner of the company is highly intelligent in research in business and highly ethical. it would have been great to work under this old dude.

earlier in the morning i talked with the chair of the department of chemistry & biochemistry where i have an offer to teach next year. we finished discussing the offer they sent me and tidied up some loose ends on that and so i anticipate signing that offer next week.

i really felt like God was holding off on all possible job opportunities for me up here so that i would be available to teach at this college. i didn't recieve a single interview before that one. in fact when i went to the job fair i talked with a couple of companies that sounded interested. one of them pretty much said they would bring me out for an interview the next day. the next day he called up and said when he pitched me to the president of the company the president was totally not interested. the other company didn't follow up until last week and then it was only asking for an electronic copy of my resume.

i must say it is tempting, but i really feel like God is asking me to teach. i know that it won't be as easy a job as the one with the biofuel place. i won't get compensated as highly and my hours during the school year won't be always that great. today the chair of the aforementioned department wanted to make sure we were sure about moving and me taking the job. i said we knew what we were leaving and what we were going to and felt it was what God was asking. God sure likes to keep opportunities open to make sure i know what i am doing.

now if God will just make the way super clear by getting keith a good job. i feel like i am being quite selfish right now by persuing this without keith having a job yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to be trite, but I think that following the will of God is the ideal choice, regardless of whether it seems selfish or not. Some of the most disturbing verses in the Bible have to do with putting God (+ His glory and His will) ahead of everything, even family (which is the part that disturbs me).

That said, I expect that God has something in mind for Keith, job-wise. But who knows!

k2h said...

I imagine something good will come out of this for me. I half-jokingly told jen I want to be grounds keeper willy

Unknown said...

god does seem to put things togeather in such a way that you really do have to do leaps of faith from time to time. i guess it is good for us though stressful. as a person with osteoporosis ? spelling? i know the bones stay strong when stressed. so it must be that is how our faith gets stronger.

forkev said...

church work has it's advantages and disadvenatages. I still feel the pros outweigh the cons.