24.9.06

Cooking Essentials

well i finally found the cutting boards at my current place of residence. but this past couple of weeks i have made two purchases which i have determined are essential for a kitchen of mine.
-non-stick fry pan
i purchased an exceptionally cheap one at wal-mart for $5. i didn't find a fry pan at the place i am staying. there was a large cast iron skillet but i am not prepared to try my cooking skills with such a monster. it would take forever to heat and probably require a lot of fat to keep my fried egg from sticking.
-rice cooker
i've made rice twice since getting here. both times i burnt my rice to the bottom of the pot and had to scrub it for a while to get it clean. so i broke down and got a rice maker at target for $15. now hopefully i won't have to scrub for extended periods after cooking rice and i can cook it unattended. i hate having to wait for rice to cook on the stove: i'm not supposed to lift the lid to see what it is up to but i shouldn't leave because the water might boil over since the stove is less than precise in its flaming.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are your mother's daughter....i can not count the number of burn pan bottoms because i was not patient enough to watch and tend the pot!

cynthy said...

Hmmmm. I love my cast iron skillets. I use them often and they don't take a lot of oil or butter unless you want a lot. I think the secret is to cure them correctly when you buy them. Then after you use them, wash right away by hand and dry. I put them on a burner and heat them dry. Then spray pam on them and put them away. The only time I burn anything in them is when I get sidetracked from my cooking. [Its not the pan]