16.11.04

same page, how about at least same book

situation
• chem. dept. is hiring a new organic professor (or whatever it is called when they first enter the realm of academia)
• candidates go to lunch with three grad students on second of two days here
• school pays for lunch

complications
• there are several (rumor eight) people interviewing
• the same grad students should go to lunch with all candidates to give feedback
• i was not told of previous complication until i agreed to go on the first lunch last week
• group meeting is on tuesday during lunch
• my advisor gets a schedule of today's candidate but apparently neither knows item two or actually connects my name being on the schedule with me actually going

result
• people show up to group meeting today expecting me to give my final presentation this semester
• my advisor gets mad at me because i didn't tell her i was going to lunch
• i wonder if she'll actually read and understand the crappy research report i write for this semester since she can't read and understand a simple schedule
• i wonder why i bother with anything at all related to social things

2 comments:

Unknown said...

complications....communication... i always get in trouble because i assume people can and will read stuff. but not true. i try to send out memos now that i am secretary about all kinds of things that seem like they should really know. have to remind them about what schedule is on sunday school, etc. try to get minutes out as soon as possible. usually have them typed the next day, but boss does not always read them right away. he often has things that are overdue because he stacks things on his desk and forgets. i will try to mark things down to remind him!...... but i can only do that if i see it or hear about it. i already went through and marked when to send out reminders to board meetings. his mind is on other things. i don't know how many other things your advisor is trying to do. hopefully, not as much as my boss. hang in there.....

rika said...

Hallo:) You posted a kind comment on my blog regarding the addition of certain substances to Ramen Noodles. I thank you. If I was not so averse to cottage cheese I would perhaps take your suggestion.

I see that you like "The Hawk and the Dove" and I must point that out and smile. Woot. Excellent books, too few people know about them.

Best wishes for the complicated social maneuvers to work themselves out!