8.6.06

Speeding

i dislike that people don't understand how to judiciously speed. there are times when traffic conditions warrent going over the speed limit by 10 mph. but then there are those crazies that weave in and out of traffic so they can go by at 20 mph faster than the middle speed people. there are of course the dilusional people that believe they should be able to go at any speed they want on a road and that they are perfectly capable of determining an appropriate speed for a road they may not have ever driven before. what really gets to me is when police run red lights and it isn't clear that there is an emergency anywhere. in southern nevada a highway patrol officer wanted to get home for dinner so he zoomed along in his patrol car at 110 mph. unfortunately speed is dangerous and he killed 4 people. fortunately he is no longer a highway patrol officer and has the potential of serving jail time.

we must always remember when driving in a car that driving at high speed is dangerous and what is more dangerous is driving at a speed that is relatively higher than those around us. the speed limit isn't always convenient, but most of the time people do try to put some thought into how fast they think we should travel under normal conditions on the road. and after all a cold dinner or a late meeting is just fine relative to the lives of four people.

2 comments:

forkev said...

i drive the speedlimit on our new freeway construction. i've almost gotten run over many times.
it bothers me when jon q public drives 10 over as a rule of thumb, and if you go the legal limit, you're a menace to society - which of course justifies people cutting in front of you and giving you dirty looks. check out this utube

k2h said...

I use to drive the speed limit, for about 2 years, then I kept getting run over, so i'd drive 5 over. now I often 'flow with traffic' at 10 over according to the spedo. I'm ok with that, knowing that at 60mph my spedo (on both bike and car) is high by about 2-3mph. so that gives me a 7mph over, but with an argument i'm with traffic.


this morning I got to race my coworker on the way to work. I pulled up next to him at the stop light, and said 'to 60' (speed limit was 50. he beat me off the line, but I lifted the front tire as I passed him. its official, the hp2 can beat a saturn to 60 =)