19.10.04

parking pass day 6

switch in reporting... i'll report for the previous day. yesterday (day 6 without a permit properly displayed) i got no ticket.
although it appears that they are using a sizable portion of blue (this section regularly empty) for storing and distributing construction materials for the parking garage which was supposed to be done in september, or was it august. from my friend mike, i learned that the construction company is paying heavy fines. the construction company in turn is charging penalties to the iron workers sub they hired, who apparently were slower than dirt becuase they didn't have enough people working on the job.
now i wonder how much of the garage is being "paid" for by these late fees and if this will have any impact on the parking permit fees... ha! it will probably make them go up for some reason like the increase in administration to process the late fees.

4 comments:

forkev said...

i'm not convinced, when a total cost of ownership is evaluated, that many things we do now 'effeciently' would not cost less with an old paper model.

Example: get kevin to invest 3 months of time in an online application to run a summer camp (ok, more like 5 realistically) but no process engineer the flow of money so my contribution works fine, but we pay way more for transactions then we should and not one person knows how it works.

what on earth is wrong with using excel to track campers and classes, and quickbooks to do fiancing with a competent office manager?

I fear all of this is too much to ask.
It's more socially acceptable to pay the big bucks then it is to hire people that know what they are doing.

Sarah said...

I'm commenting on Kev's comment about the summer camp thing. While I agree that your example supports your conclusion, I also think it's crap. :) Here's why: as a professional web developer (or wannabe), before I take on a project, I do in depth needs/benefits analysis. I tell the client before I start what the actual monetary benefit will be. Then they can look at whether it's actually worth it to go forward (and of course, it's my job to make sure it is :)). My point (assuming I have one, and that might be a stretch) is that if things are done properly to start with, a lot of stupidity can be avoided.

k2h said...

I am posting about sarahs comment about how kevs posting was crap.

I'll have to agree with sarah, kind of. you see it is often the case that things are grossly underestimated. most often due to the inherent lack of experience the person has that is attemption to make the approximation. the engineers i work with under estimate all kinds of things. the only things they can properly estimate are those that would get them fired if they did not complete. then time estimate is then correct but the work estimate is not. during the last stages of a time critical project people will put in many extra hours (for free because we are salary) so their estimate was crap even though they got it completed. maybe kevs closer to an enginer.. or maybe like jen pointed out earlier.. a weasel. http://www.allyellowstonenationalparkpictures.com/artists/gw/images/weasel-yellowstone-national-park-with-elk.jpg

Sarah said...

Just for clarification, I wasn't calling Kev a loser (though Daniel thought I should, just to rile him). I'm just saying that there's no way a project should be allowed to move forward if any party involved doesn't understand and believe in the measurable benefit. But I do like that weasel picture... Here's another. http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpecies_LI.asp?imageID=18710