26.10.04

slightly better

okay fixed the whole network using keith's laptop thing
turns out that someone stole my ip! grr. i have a guess who that is too. if the printer required an ip, kyle may have fished until he found one open. oh ya, kyle the little prick was the one that set up the printer. i guess he just decided he was the one that should set it up and so he did, couldn't really gather from talking with him if suk-wah said to do so or not. in any case that just means that i am completely justified in not wanting admin rights on that computer.

finally, there are good people in the world. i called up computer support (had the wrong extension written down for my usual support guy). the poor guy finally figured out that some other computer was using my ip (like i said i think it was kyle). so they had to enter the help ticket into the computer etc. ge may make you go to canada for computer support, but here it is all on campus. not that it helps anything because his official statement was to give 24 working hours (3 days). stupid. so i asked for bill's extension, the guy who actually supports chem and phys buildings. he had given me his extension but i wrote it down wrong. the computer support kid couldn't give me his extension but could transfer me and if bill wanted to give away his extension he could. so talked to bill. he gave me his extension and a new ip. beautiful. gotta love cool people like that. just goes to show it is who you know.

and my half a stamp didn't kill itself when i compressed it this time, and survived for an hour while i cured my mold. (i even survived dropping the hot bulb to the UV lamp and it still works.)

finally, my loving k2h told me we'd get stuff working. i hope my laptop recovers...i think in the future i'll avoid windows update since sp2 may have been the cause of the whole toasting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

have you got it working yet.... afterall it is a step above the computer in the plastic box...isn't it?

forkev said...

i've had no ill effects of sp2
i'm sorry to hear it's giving you a hard time.
i believe the proper thing to do is install dos 6.22 and do your work in wordperfect 5.1
then you can clone your entire pc to a cd-rw twice a week and you're good to go.
really, if you need some fancy cd-based ghosting tools, and you want to do regular backups to multi-spanned cd's, i think keith can set you up.